As I shared recently, Joleen and I are both taking a short-term sabbatical (one month, plus two weeks of vacation). We’re seeking physical and spiritual renewal and growth in ministry leadership.
Physical & Spiritual Renewal
Spiritual health is vitally important. Lance Witt, in his book, Replenish (see my post), argues, “We have neglected the fact that a pastor’s greatest leadership tool is a healthy soul.”
Witt writes, the …
Great Commission will not be fulfilled by human ingenuity or innovative thinking alone. This God-sized task will only be completed by Spirit-filled, spiritually healthy churches. And these churches will not be spiritually healthy unless their leaders are spiritually healthy.
My regular daily disciplines, including daily time with God (prayer, journal, Bible reading), exercise, rest, and sleep, will help with physical and spiritual renewal. The sabbatical will give us an opportunity to be more intentional about replenishing our bodies and souls!
Growth in Ministry Leadership
For growth, we’ll visit some vital churches, read some books and articles, and watch some videos. I have no idea how many books I will actually read (I’m not necessarily expecting to read twelve; I just couldn’t whittle the list down any further), but I have settled on the following list. I’ll simply start at the top and go as far as I can …
- Grave Robber (Mark Batterson)
- Are You Fully Charged?: The 3 Keys to Energizing Your Work and Life (Tom Rath)
- inGenius (Tina Seelig)
- Creativity, Inc. (Ed Catmull)
- Ways of the Word (Sally Brown/Luke Powery)
- Everyone Communicates, Few Connect (John Maxwell)
- Praying Together (Megan Hill)
- Radical Together: Unleashing the People of God for the Purpose of God (David Platt)
- Practicing Greatness: 7 Disciplines of Extraordinary Spiritual Leaders (Reggie McNeal)
- Emotional Intelligence 2.0 (Travis Bradberry)
- Leadership 2.0 (Travis Bradberry)
- When the Game Is Over It All Goes Back in the Box (John Ortberg)
We’re grateful for this opportunity to be replenished. We trust that God will renew us in body and soul, and that he will help us grow to be stronger, healthier leaders!