We attended COR’s Leadership Institute in 2008 and thoroughly enjoyed it (see post here). Here are some of the highlights from Adam’s annual conference presentations …
What Leaders Do
- Set the tone of the organization.
- Clarify and champion the mission and vision.
- Hold the organization accountable to accomplish the mission.
- Responsible for preparing the organization for the future by leading change.
- Evaluate, celebrate victories and honestly address shortcomings.
Five Key Leadership Principles
- It’s all about people.
- Healthy organizations have a clear MVP (mission, vision, plan).
- Change, innovate, improve or die.
- Intentional discipleship (sanctification).
- Discernment by nausea.
Five Components of Preaching that Connects
- Teach people something they didn’t know before.
- Inspire them by touching their hearts.
- Interesting stories, metaphors.
- A call to action.
- Must be biblical.
Adam suggested three key questions that leaders need to be able to answer and help people in their churches be able to answer as well …
- Why do people need Jesus Christ?
- Why do people need the church?
- Why do people need this particular church?
Well, these are just some of the basic highlights. There’s much more. In fact, one of the things I especially liked about the presentations was that Adam included a lot of practical applications. I attended all three sessions and I reviewed them online earlier this week. There are some practices I want to implement in my own leadership and ministry!